Pocomoke River

I am visiting my brother Chuck in Maryland for a few weeks. We decided to do some kayaking while I am here, first exploring a stream that feeds off of the pond that Chuck’s house sits on. We paddled across the pond and then portaged over the road to enter the stream on the other side. There were numerous fallen trees across the water and we had to duck under or scramble over them, often having to portage the kayaks as well. Chuck’s boys, Will and Sam did great, taking turns in the single kayak. We all managed to get soaked and even got lost on the way back, going up different stream and had to carry the kayaks on the road for a few hundred yards to get back to the pond. All-in-all, it was great fun.

With the success of that trip, we decided to take a longer trip on one of the local rivers, the Pocomoke. Chuck and I had paddled this river a few times, renting kayaks from Pocomoke River Canoe in Snow Hill. This time, I wanted to use my kayak and test all the of the improvements I’d been making over the past few weeks. Chuck rented a double and a single kayak and we put-in with the three boats about 5 miles upstream of Snow Hill. We took our time paddling down the slowly flowing water, among the cypress trees. Will and Sam took turns paddling the single kayak.

We broke for lunch on a dock on the river side and explored a nearby field where we surprised a group of deer who took off leaping across the open ground. Chuck decided to try out my kayak for the remainder of the paddle back to Snow Hill. I wasn’t sure how he’d do, but after a few initial moments of unsteadiness, he quickly got the feel of Maya and was paddling her like a pro, even towing Will, who after half an hour of paddling the single kayak, began to tire.

Once we arrived back in Snow Hill, we had to portage the kayaks over the bridge which was being repaired. Chuck decided to leave the single kayak at the shop and we continued with him and both boys in the double kayak and me in Maya. We followed the Pocomoke downstream for a few more miles before turning north onto the Nassawango. We continued up this stream for several miles, eventually coming to a low bridge which we barely managed to get under. Once on the other side, the stream narrowed and began to twist and turn, much like the beginning of our trip on the Pocomoke. If it weren’t for the many signs indicating the direction to the canoe shop, we would have gotten lost numerous times. We arrived at the second bridge, our take out, at around 5 pm and called the canoe shop to arrange a pick up.

The following is a time-lapse video (sped up ten times) of the end of this trip…

Leave a Reply