Sanding and wetting down

Well, the Durham’s Water Putty mixed with saw dust was a bust – the color was way too light. I suppose if you used a darker colored saw dust, you could match the color of the wood, but it seems like too much work. I also noticed that the putty with the sawdust in it didn’t seem as hard as the plain putty. So I removed the most egregious patches of putty using a knife and then mixed up some new batches using some “coffee brown” water color paint in with the water. I was able to match the color pretty closely and this way the putty should be as hard as normal.

I finished the intermediate sanding with an orbital sander starting with 50 grit and moving on to 80 grit. Then I wet the surfaces down with a sponge and water. This will raise the grain and swell any dents in the wood, which will then be sanded smooth in the final sanding tomorrow. The wet surfaces should give a good indication of what the kayak will look like when fiber-glassed and varnished.

I also cut the stem laminations at bow and stern, and when I did so, they moved a little bit. Some of the layers were not completely tight and when cut, they were able to move, so I took both the deck and the hull off of the strong-back in order to re-glue and clamp the loose bits.

While the deck and hull were apart, I decided to fix some of the dents I created when breaking them free from the stations. I used some toilet paper soaked in water to rest on the dented areas of the shear strip. Left overnight, the water should swell the dents back, at least somewhat.

Leave a Reply