Scallop curves defined

Today was a rather unproductive day. I worked on the kayak all day, but I didn’t seem to accomplish much. Actually, I did a lot of things that needed doing, but I was left with little to show for all my work.

First, I decided to break all the stations free of the kayak and then re-hot-glue them in a couple of places. I had been worried about not being able to break them free once the deck was in place which would have been a nightmare. I was impressed with how little the kayak itself moved once it was free of the stations. I did one station at a time and re-glued it before the next station, but I could tell the kayak was quite rigid on its own.

Next, I decided to raise the cradles so I wouldn’t have to bend over so much while working.

Then I started to try to fit a long piece into the center of one of my scallops surfaces (the transition from high to low deck.) I could make it fit, but it didn’t seem to flow smoothly. I envisioned having a hard time keeping the deck surface fair on either side of it, so I decided I would have to modify the shape, again. I opened my Rhino model and tweaked the curves a bit and then printed out some new lines and transferred them to the stations, but the change still wasn’t enough, so I decided to modify the stations directly without modeling it first in Rhino. After a couple of iterations, I came upon a pleasing shape and then made the appropriate changes to the other side of the kayak.

I next decided to try to install the deck shear strip. I had intended to use maple for this piece since maple is quite a hard wood and this piece essentially defines the widest point of the kayak, and thus would be most likely to bump into something. Unfortunately, the maple strips I milled came out severely warped for some reason. I think there must have been a lot of residual stress in the board I cut the strips from. Anyway, I clamped the piece in place (I first had to make a skarf joint to make it long enough,) and realized that it would be too difficult to make it bend smoothly enough to satisfy me, so I scrapped that idea and decided to use some of my palownia instead. Palownia is quite soft in comparison, so it is not an ideal solution, but I decided that I would put a narrow strip of tough wenge next to it to give it some ruggedness. I couldn’t be bothered with doing either of those at the moment since it was dinner time. In fact, I had decided to call it a day at that point.

After dinner (and a glass of wine) I realized that if I didn’t do anything more, I would be left with nothing to show for my day’s effort (not a single piece had been attached and the changes I made to the stations were hardly noticeable.) So I decided to at least attach the curved pieces that define the shape of the scallops. I had already laid out their positions, so it was a simple matter of hot-gluing them in place. The following photos show the results:

Leave a Reply