Deck varnish


This morning, I flipped the kayak over and used a tack cloth on the deck surface and then proceeded to varnish the deck. I avoided having any "non-wet" edges by working both sides of the cockpit alternately. It worked, but I had to rush it a bit and I ended…

Varnish time at last!


It's been a few days since my last post and no, I have not been idle, just too lazy to post an update. I finished the installation of the footbraces. I epoxied the rails into the kayak (I had to remove the front bulkhead to allow access) with thickened epoxy.…

Recovery and beyond


I learned a lot of things at the WoodenBoat School and came away from there with a number of projects/repairs. This last week has been occupied with gathering materials, planning and prep work, but recently, I have been back in the workshop actually doing some things and it feels good.…

Maiden Voyage Video


A video my room-mate Chris took for me of my maiden voyage on the Monongahela river in Pittsburgh. I don't know how fast the barges go downstream in this river, but I can out-pace them at least for a short time. I am guessing about 6 knots.

Maine II


I made it home safely from Maine, driving all 15 hours yesterday since I didn't feel like camping in the rain. The class was great and I learned many things, the most important one being that I have much more to learn. Our instructor, Bill Thomas is an amazing guy.…

Maine


Just a quick update from the WoodenBoat School in Brooklin, Maine. The class is going well, Maya has been repaired and I have been paddling her in the gorgeous waters off the coast of Maine. I will provide a full synopsis when I return to Pittsburgh.

No cure


Well, everything was going perfectly to plan until that last batch of epoxy. I'd run out of my standard stuff and had purchased some cheaper brand from a local boat repair place and I suspect that it might have been sitting on the shelf for a bit longer than it…

Tip off


Yesterday, I brought Maya back inside after briefly checking her fit atop my car. I then began the laborious task of sanding her smooth and feathering all the edges of the fiber-glass overlays. This, of course, generates lots of fiber-glass dust which gets everywhere. Even after showering, there is still…

Maya got wet


This afternoon, I flipped Maya end for end and did the other end pour. Shortly after that, it started to rain, so she got wet for the first time without me. I guess she is even more anxious than I am. Other than that, I worked on a heap of…

End pour anyone?


Today, I trimmed the first outside deck/hull tape joint. I'd let the epoxy cure too long, so it wasn't the easiest going, but I managed. After that, I flipped the kayak over and prepped for the second joint. After that one dried a couple of hours, but was still soft,…

Glass shaft


Today, I finished sanding the paddle shaft and sealed it with a coat of resin. While that was drying, I prepped the first of two outside deck/hull joints. I sanded the joint area smooth and then filled any gaps with a mixture of epoxy and wood flour with a little…

Over the hump


Today, I finished the interior taping. With that awful job done, the rest should be down hill. This side went easier than yesterday's. I read up before starting and discovered that I should have wet the area to be 'glassed with epoxy prior to rolling out the 'glass. This definitely…

And a bag of chips


Busy day today. To summarize, I removed the foot braces and cleaned up the epoxy mounting points, I carved the minicell foam seat, I cut the paddle shaft skarf joint and glued the two halves together, I prepped the deck and hull interiors for epoxying, I taped the exterior of…

Mushrooms


Two days ago, I went to my sister's house in Salem, Ohio. My brother-in-law Russ, whose workshop I've used many times already, was gracious enough to allow me to use his tools once again. My main project was to create tie-down points for the deck. I found some designs on…

Hull interior ‘glassed at last


Today was a very busy day for me. I began by sanding the epoxy filler on the deck interior. I then proceeded to create a large fillet all along the keel with epoxy thickened with wood flour. While this was still wet, I laid out the fiber-glass. I am using…

Paddle Blade


I began to fair the hull interior today and made some good progress, but as always, I quickly tired of that strenuous work. So I decided to begin working on my paddle. In his book, Nick Schade describes a a couple of methods for building a paddle. I am using…