Yesterday, I installed one side of the inflection on the left side and today I installed the other strip, literally turning the corner. I decided to split one of the long strips of cedar I had left from the hull. By the time I planed it, it was about 5/16″ wide which should make for a good outline for the area of palownia and cedar pin-striping that it will enclose. It is difficult to see in the photos, but this really does create a sharp corner (in most places) and I hope it will be the defining feature of the kayak. Since it was so important, I spent a lot of time making sure to get it right. I am pleased with the results.
I also created a wish-bone shape of dark wenge on the fore-deck. There will be a similar on the rear deck. When creating a symmetrical shape like this, it is important to keep the curves even and smooth on both sides. By careful measurement and using a long strip of cedar to create a smooth curve, I was able to come up with a pleasing shape. For the “y,” one of the legs miters in from the side, so in order to keep that transition smooth, I used a technique that Nick Schade describes quite well in his book. Using the same strip of cedar I had used to define the smooth curve on the left side, I transferred it to the other side, temporarily glued in place with hot-glue. This left me with a standard tapered end fit for the other piece of wenge. This is shown in the photos below. You’ll notice some bits of cardboard glued onto the wish-bone in the last photo. These show the shape of the thigh braces I plan to include in the cockpit – you can also see the rough shape of what will be the cockpit opening.